Monday, February 6, 2012

Module 5 Post 1 - J. Sherman


Moving Toward Dynamic Technologies

On the "static-dynamic continuum" I am in the middle of the road leaning toward dynamic. My students routinely utilize static technologies such as podcasts and vodcasts as well as middle of the road technologies such as wikis, blogs, and discussion boards. To be perfectly honest I had always thought my work in the middle of the road technologies was dynamic. Take wiki building for example; students often collaborate with other students in the process of analyzing and synthesizing information in order to create a wiki page. Creation is the highest level of Bloom's taxonomy. In any event, I recently was awarded a gran to "flip" my classroom. The goal of a flipped classroom is to take normal teacher led instruction and create vodcasts that can be viewed as "homework". This will ultimately free up class time to pursue dynamic learning activities.


6 comments:

  1. Hi Joshua,
    I think that many of the technologies we use are middle of the road, it depends on how they are utilized in the classroom. Congratulations on the grant. I was wondering what your first step will be in "flipping your classroom", and were you also awarded funding for technologies to perform the "flip"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joshua,

    Wow, that sounds amazing! I would love to hear more about "flipping". One of our problems is that the vast majority of the students do nothing outside of class. Viewing vodcasts might be much more engaging for my students (meaning they might be more likely to do it) and would free up time with notes and examples. Class time could then be used for applications and explorations. What a neat idea!! Your graphic is very easy to read and organized. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joshua, I like your different way of forming your concept map! You say you are a middle of the road kinda guy. According to your map then you should be adept at Skype. The rubric says we need six examples each of collaborative, communication, and content technologies. I am very glad I never worked in a school that wanted me to flip anything, walking is dangerous enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joshua,
    Your video production flowed very smoothly. Ithought your topic was relevant and addressed an area that is needed in every level of our education. I especially like the question and answer section included. Your presentation reminded me of the various research tools available however ous students are so limited in their awareness and usage of these. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Online education is not only a good source of getting knowledge and degrees but also a way to save your time. Online education is the best solution for people from all walks of life who wish to earn a degree but are not able to devote time to pursue regular education courses.Thanks for sharing useful information in this post....

    learning portals

    ReplyDelete